Michel Chossudovsky - Biography
Michel Chossudovsky (born 1946) is a Canadian-based economist.
He graduated from the University of Manchester, England, and obtained a PhD at the University of North Carolina, U. S. A.; he is professor of economics (emeritus) at the University of Ottawa.
Michel Chossudovsky is the son of a distinguished academic, Russian born Evgeny Chossudovsky, (1914–2006), and a Northern Irishwoman, Rachel. He is founder, editor, and director of the Centre for Research on Globalisation (CRG), which is "committed to curbing the tide of globalisation and disarming the new world order".
In 1999, Chossudovsky joined the Transnational Foundation for Peace and Future Research as an adviser.
Chossudovsky was profiled in the Ottawa Citizen in an article by Juliet Oniell.
He is a frequent contributor to Third World Resurgence and Covert Action Quarterly. His latest book is titled America's "War on Terrorism".
Chossudovsky claims that the High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) is actually an operational weapon of mass destruction, with the power to alter the weather, disrupt regional electrical power systems, and modify the Earth's magnetic field, as well as potentially trigger earthquakes and affect people's health.
After the September 11 terrorist attacks he highlighted the historical relationship between the US government, Bin Laden and Al Qaeda. On Russia Today, he stated that President Obama, not Osama bin Laden, is the biggest threat to global security. In the Preface of America's "War on Terrorism" he wrote:
The myth of the "outside enemy" and the threat of "Islamic terrorists" was the cornerstone of the Bush administration’s military doctrine, used as a pretext to invade Afghanistan and Iraq, not to mention the repeal of civil liberties and constitutional government in America. Without an "outside enemy", there could be no "war on terrorism".
In a speech given at the Perdana Global Peace Forum in 2005, Chossudovsky stated that "Osama bin Laden and the Taliban were identified as the prime suspects of the 9/11 attacks, without a shred of evidence" and that "Amply documented, the war on terrorism is a fabrication."
He has also claimed that the invasion of Afghanistan had long been planned by the United States and NATO, with the 9/11 attacks used as an excuse to justify the war.
In an op-ed in the Western Standard, Chossudovsky was listed as one of Canada's nuttiest professors "whose absurdity stands head and shoulders above their colleagues." Specifically, the op-ed criticized GlobalResearch.ca as "anti-U.S. and anti-globalization" and Chussodovsky's "wild-eyed conspiracy theories."
An article in The Jewish Tribune has also criticized GlobalResearch.ca as "rife with anti-Jewish conspiracy theory and Holocaust denial." The same article also reported that B'nai Brith Canada wrote a letter to the University of Ottawa asking for the university "to conduct its own investigation of this propagandist site."
Chossudovsky has questioned the widespread notion that the Yugoslav wars were primarily motivated by ethnic or nationalist conflict. In his 1996 article "Dismantling Yugoslavia: Colonizing Bosnia", he wrote that the macroeconomic restructuring and the deep-seated economic crisis of the 1980s helped destroy Yugoslavia, but that the global media have carefully overlooked or denied the central role of Western-backed neoliberal policies in the process, and that after the war the Western powers have concentrated on debt repayment and potential energy bonanzas rather than rebuilding the economy.
- With Fred Caloren and Paul Gingrich, Is the Canadian Economy Closing Down? (Montreal: Black Rose, 1978) ISBN 0-919618-80-4
- Towards Capitalist Restoration? Chinese Socialism After Mao (New York: St Martin's, 1986 and London: Macmillan, 1986) ISBN 0-333-38441-5
- The Globalization of Poverty: Impacts of IMF and World Bank Reforms, (Penang: Third World Network, 1997) and (London: Zed, 1997) ISBN 81-85569-34-7 and ISBN 1-85649-402-0
- Exporting Apartheid to Sub-Saharan Africa (New Delhi: Madhyam, 1997) ISBN 81-86816-06-2
- 'Washington's New World Order Weapons Can Trigger Climate Change', (November 26, 2000)
- Guerres et Mondialisation: A Qui Profite Le 11 Septembre? (Serpent a Plume, 2002) ISBN 2-84261-387-2
- The Globalization of Poverty and the New World Order (Oro, Ontario: Global Outlook, 2003) ISBN 0-9731109-1-0 – Excerpt.
- America's "War on Terrorism" (Pincourt, Quebec: Global Research, 2005) ISBN 0-9737147-1-9
- A list of audio interviews: (French Connection Audio Archive)
Lectures and presentations
- War and Globalization (Google Video)